Tuesday, October 07, 2008

Laundry


Laundry. I'm in Brazil for a month, and it occurred to me that it might be nice to have clean clothes. I don't mind washing some things out in the sink, but jeans and heavier shirts are problematic.

We asked about laundry at the front desk yesterday. Yes, they can do it here. Yes, it's expensive. Yes, there's a lavanderia down the street. Off I went to check out the lavanderia. Hmm. Seems it's dry cleaning, and will cost around $3 for one pair of jeans. Back to the hotel to do a little Internet searching for "lavanderia automatica." Success! There's one not too far from here, maybe a half mile.

This morning I set out with a full bag of laundry, ready to use a self-service machine. Alas, it was not to be. The place will do my laundry for 4 reais/kg (6 if I want it ironed), but it will take two days. This is not as expensive as the dry cleaner or the hotel.

Back to the hotel with the dirty laundry, discouraged. At the hotel, I formulated a new plan. Some of these clothes are not completely awful. I sorted through for those that need washing the most and that I can manage without until Thursday. Back I went. On Thursday, I'll take the clothes I didn't wash and trade them for the clean ones.

Time to go wash out some socks.

No comments: