Sunday, June 15, 2008

Kids grow up

Today was the last day of the Smoky Hill River Festival in Salina, KS. I had a great time this year, though it was HOT today. I kept reminding myself that two years ago it was even hotter. Also, we missed the horrendous rain and hail that hit Salina and the tornado that smashed the nearby town of Chapman last week. I had shows on the Children's Stage and the Bravo Salina Stage (I seem to be an honorary Salinan), and I roved around the festival with puppets.

I was reminded of the passage of time by a few events at this festival:

I saw my friend Sandy's son Karl, whom I met when he was in third grade. He's going into his sophomore year of college now. He's all grown up.
I also saw Dianna Waite's daughter Bailey for about a second. In third grade, she and Karl were good friends. I didn't get a chance to find out what she's doing, as it was in the peculiar craziness that happens just after a show as parents are trying to buy CDs, kids are trying to shake Trixie's hand, and I'm trying to keep track of everything.

A mother bought one of my CDs for her daughter, who used to have the cassette. The daughter is now 18.

Yesterday a young fellow came up to me and said, "Hey! You came to my school when I was in kindergarten...I'm going into seventh grade."

Can I really have been doing this for so long? I know some of the kids who heard me tell stories in my first audiences in 1988 are parents now!

No comments: