Sunday, March 09, 2008

Tax time

It's that time of year. I have an appointment with my fabulous tax advisor tomorrow. I'm not being sarcastic--she keeps me on track. I'm not quite ready. My next step is to take inventory of my recordings. There are over a thousand in a kind of loft in my office, behind the curtain (looks like a puppet stage up there). The ladder is ready and waiting.

The rest are in the kitchen cabinets. How do I get up there? I stand on a small stool, then climb up on the counter.

Then I'll find my way back to my desk to finish figuring out where and when I made money, and where and when I spent it.

I don't mind paying taxes for a few reasons:
  1. This means I actually made money,
  2. My taxes pay for things I believe are important, such as roads and schools--and hey, schools hire me, so some of my tax money comes back in that way!
  3. It's a way I participate in this democracy.

1 comment:

Erin said...

When I read this post, I was stuck at the top. I was imagining myself going up to your attic and getting stuck up there in the dark with all the puppets.

Now I can't decide if it would be a little scary, or just really really fun.