Tuesday, October 20, 2009

In Mexico, not yet working

The way this tour worked out, I will begin telling stories in schools on Thursday of this week, so I have time to sightsee a bit. Last night, Inno and Alberto and I walked down to the House of Tiles (Casa de los Azulejos). This incredibly impressive building, once the home of a count and countess, houses Sanborns, a chain of restaurants and stores which began in 1903. Here's the view from the balcony looking down.

On the stairway is a huge mural by José Clemente Orozco, painted in 1925:

We had a light meal in the piano bar. Very elegant.

This morning I went to the Museo Nacional de Arte and then the Palacio de Bellas Artes--the latter is the premier opera house in Mexico. Both are impressive buildings, inside and out. Here's the Palacio de Bellas Artes:

If that weren't impressive enough, inside is amazing, with murals by Diego Rivera, Orozco, Rufino Tamayo and David Siqueiros on the walls of the second and third floors. There was also a temporary exhibit of El Greco going on. Fabulous!

I walked a lot at these museums, so I went back to the hotel for a rest. Then in the late afternoon Alberto and I took the metro to the Bosque de Chapultepec, an immense park with a castle at the top of the hill. We strolled around for quite a while. We wondered how they enforced the closing of the park at 6 p.m. (we went out the gate at 5:45). Do people get locked in, or choose to stay the night on purpose?

Then we went to Zona Rosa, a lively area for nightlife, for supper before coming back to the hotel. Tomorrow I may go to hear Inno tell stories, or I may do more sightseeing. Or both.

2 comments:

under30undersail said...

what is the transportation like in Mexico City? is it as smoggy and car-filled as I hear? You took the metro...so I guess they do have public transport?

PriscillaHowe said...

There's almost everything, as far as I can see: car, taxi, bus, electric bus, metro, and foot. It's crowded and the air isn't great, but I'm having a good time.