Friday, November 23, 2007

Thanksgiving leftovers

Just a few scrapies. No, not the sheep disease--"scrapies" is the word we used when we had leftovers on a plate.

Mary's good comment was something I meant to say yesterday. It deserves to be in a post: often when I can't sleep, I start a gratitude list in my head. I don't think it puts me to sleep because it's boring but because it is comforting. I rarely get past ten.

Also, what I've found is that when I focus on what I'm thankful for instead of what's wrong in my life, I get more for which I am thankful.

I don't have a lot of Thanksgiving food leftovers. On Wednesday I made a giant vat of cranberry relish. I have a bit left.

Here's the recipe:
1 bag cranberries
1 apple
1 orange
1 lemon
sugar

Wash the cranberries and throw away the soft and/or icky ones. Core the apple. Grind up all the fruit in a food processor, including the orange and lemon skins. I usually cut the fruit into chunks before putting them into the processor. Add sugar to taste (maybe a cup, maybe two, depends on what you like). Tastes best if it sits for a day or two.

No cooking involved. My batch used four bags of cranberries and the corresponding amounts of other fruit. Three other households got to have leftovers of it. When you eat this tart concoction, you can feel the vitamin C coursing through your veins. In our family, we never had canned cranberry sauce or even the homemade cooked kind, just this. Yum.

I also have a quarter of a MarCon gooseberry pie, bought at the Community Mercantile. For store-bought, it was pretty good. I'm thankful for gooseberries.

That's it for today. Plate's clean.

1 comment:

Unknown said...

Hold on ! Your NaBloPoMo challenge is almost over. You'll get it !