Thursday, May 19, 2011

More Machu Picchu pictures

I can't stand the thought that I only posted a few Machu Picchu pictures. Here are more, in no particular order.

The site is vast--I can't even really describe it.
Maybe you can get an idea of the scope from the size of the people in this one:
This is a carving of a condor with its wings spread, best seen from the perspective of about two feet off the ground:
Here I am again, with the mountains in the background.

The mountains are impossibly steep.
Can you see the river below?

I think this is Wayna Picchu, or "Young Mountain" in the background. I considered climbing it, but laziness overcame me. Later I heard from some other tourists (not avid hikers) that it wasn't an easy hike.
This is a kind of sundial that tells when the solstices and equinoxes will be:
There is no mortar in these walls. Amazing stonework!






Now I feel better. At least you can see a little more of the grandeur of this site. It was clear to me why it was named one of the new Wonders of the World.

No comments: