Wednesday, April 30, 2008

Days off

This is one of those weeks in which I don't have performances. Nice to have a little break to catch up on office work and other stuff. Yesterday I mowed the lawn, then went out to help my brother-in-law split and stack firewood. That's for next year--I'm hoping I've lit my last fire of the season.

We used the hydraulic splitter, which is much easier than how I split wood at home. Here's the home method: get a log set up, set a wedge in the top, whack it with the maul and have it fall over, pick it up, whack it again, pick it up, whack, pick it up, whack, repeat until the wood gets tired of being knocked over and decides to split. Average time, 5 minutes. With the splitter, it takes seconds. Watch the fingers, though.

I stayed for lunch, and then my sister and I worked on choosing new pictures for my website. The pictures up now are about five years old--time to update. I know some storytellers who are still using photos from many years (and hairstyles and clothes sizes?) ago. Do they think people who book them won't notice? Maybe it's like a combover.

I spent the rest of the afternoon doing more office work at home, then went to yoga. It was a pleasant slow-paced day, wrapped up by watching the BBC Mystery series Campion.

I've got plenty to do today, but I'm taking the same easy pace. When I've hung the laundry on the line, I think I'll have lunch on the porch swing.

1 comment:

Granny Sue said...

Ah, the restfulness of splitting wood--right. I am so glad to see the end of the firewood season. I would not trade my wood stove, though.