Monday, September 08, 2008

Night-blooming cereus, part 2

I almost missed the first bud! Thank goodness for intuition. I woke up at 4:30 this morning thinking it might hail. I got up and put my car in the garage. As my feet were wet from going out, I went into the laundry room to dry them off. Hmm, maybe I should check the cereus...

Yikes! One of the three buds had bloomed!

Here's what it looked like yesterday in the late afternoon:




And here's what it looked like at 4:30, in the rain (and me without my glasses):




There will definitely be another post about this plant.

2 comments:

Faith said...

I was doing stuff with my houseplants yesterday and saw that one (of my two) NBCs has 18 buds. They're still little, though.

PriscillaHowe said...

Wow! I remember when Mom's had 13 one year, but 18 is deeply impressive. The last of my three will bloom tonight (I do see a little tiny one coming in, but there's no guarantee it will bloom--they don't much like to be moved).