Wednesday, May 21, 2008

Hi, Train!





Tonight I was eating supper on the porch swing. A little boy was playing outside the church across the street. "Hi, Train! Hi, Train!" He waved and yelled, so very hopeful.

In the last hour, at least six trains have gone by a short block from my house. I've heard estimates of 50-75 trains a day on these tracks. I've tried to count, but they are such background noise I don't even hear them anymore unless I'm outside trying to carry on a conversation or tell stories. A friend who grew up near train tracks said that it was always disturbing when the regular trains didn't go by--his whole family would be awake in the middle of the night, vaguely aware that something was wrong when a scheduled train didn't pass.

Did you notice what was in the wagon in the middle picture? Hope for no derailments!

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

No fair! I can't tell what's in the second picture . . . .
BTW, love your irises! Mine are small by comparison (and all finished for the year).

PriscillaHowe said...

The train in the middle picture is full of corn syrup!