Monday, August 13, 2007

I had a funny thought...

That's how it begins sometimes, with that comment, "I had a funny thought..."

I was digging around in my puppet closet (yes, they have their own room) and came across a frog glove puppet, five frogs in all. It was a present from a client of my brother Thomas. Quite lovely and unlike any I'd ever seen!


Here's just one--I think she's the queen:


Then I saw another puppet, a giant bug I got in Belgium a few years ago.

Next year, the theme for the public library summer reading program is "Catch the reading bug."

Some of you might have guessed the funny thought: the finger play/song Five green and speckled frogs, with these very elegant frogs and the enormous cartoony bug. The frogs are smaller than the bug's eye. I tried it out--this is going to take some practice because I've got to remember to put the bug on first, and I have to figure out the logistics, but I'm hoping for some big laughs at the incongruity.


Five green and speckled frogs,
sat on a speckled log,
eating some most delicious bugs,
yum, yum.
One jumped into the pool,
where it was nice and cool,
now there were four green speckled frogs,
glub, glub.

No comments: