Friday, April 28, 2006

More busyness

This has been a great month so far. I know, it's the 28th, so there are only a couple of days left. I expect them to be great as well.

In the middle of the month, I had a couple of performances for kindergarten, first and second graders at Sunset Hill Elementary School here in Lawrence, recorded for posterity by Bad Haircut Productions. The goal was to make a demo DVD, but of course I start thinking bigger--can I get a DVD good enough to sell AND a CD out of the deal? I'll let you know. The guys at Bad Haircut (really, they're perfectly fine!) are mostly done, but I won't be able to look at the final product until mid-May.

What else has been happening? I've been to some excellent schools, including a full day in Chetopa, KS, where the kids were wonderfully ready to hear stories. Last week I was in Missouri, first doing a puppet workshop in Columbia, then at the Mid-Missouri Storytelling Festival. The main goal of that festival is to take storytelling out into Jefferson City and environs. I got to tell in Frankenstein, MO. It's probably good that I didn't do the Frankenstein song I know.

This week I went back to Sunset Hill for Asian Day preparation, telling stories to the entire school. Big group, but I think it worked. Then I was part of the Kansas City Storytelling Celebration, performing in a few venues around KC. That's still going on--if you're reading this before Saturday, April 29 and are within range, you might consider going to the big concert at Unity Temple on the Plaza in KC. I won't be there, but I'm sure it will be good.

Why won't I be there? Why won't I be able to see the demo until mid-May? Tomorrow I'm off on an adventure. I'm leaving for two weeks to Turkey and Bulgaria, with a couple of friends. It's not even a work trip, either. Not to say that there won't be any work, but it's not the purpose. We're just going to have a good time. I haven't been back in Bulgaria since 1993, and I've never been to Turkey. Can't wait!

Speaking of the trip, I'm not packed yet, so I'd better go do that. I might be able to send reports from the road, but no promises. It's all too possible I'll be busy drinking Turkish coffee and eating real yoghurt (among other things). One of my friends just sent me the schedule for the central puppet theater in Sofia. He knows one of the puppeteers. Hee hee!

No comments: