Wednesday, May 25, 2005

It's almost summer!

I love summer. This one is going to be great, with tons of work mostly in libraries around Kansas, a little in Missouri and two gigs in Oklahoma. Maybe I'll find some good pie.

I'm thinking of having my bathing suit in the car, so I can go to the city pools in the small towns, after my performances. It has been a few years since I did that, back when I had a car with no air conditioning (seven years in Kansas with no AC in the car!). I'd ask the kids at the performance who was going swimming after the performance. They'd tell me where the city pool was. After paying my dollar or two, I would jump in and cool off. The kids would show off their dives and dogpaddles, "Watch this! Watch this!" Then it would be time to dress, get back in the car and drive home or on to the next gig.

Library shows are usually big fun. You never know what will happen. A few weeks ago I had a performance where a young child (2? 3? girl? boy?) came up and stood right in front of me for most of a story, facing the audience. I'm not sure what that was about. Sometimes kids get so involved in a story they stand up without realizing it. Sometimes there's a low roar of babies and toddlers, and sometimes those babies and toddlers are completely quiet and listening.

I'll keep you posted.

No comments: